Women: Hard Hit

stalvis Icon Posted by Silja J.A. Talvi

June 19th, 2006

For those of you concerned with the plight of women behind bars, I want to draw your attention to a particularly important report that the mainstream national press paid far too little attention to. (I was happy to see more localized coverage, however, which is one of the reasons why the nation’s wide assortment of regional papers DO matter so much.)

Hard Hit: The Growth in the Imprisonment of Women, 1977-2004, is a groundbreaking research study conducted by the Women’s Prison Association (WPA). Before the WPA’s report, no organization had truly done a state-by-state analysis of the dramatic growth in women’s incarceration. From 1977-2004, we’re talking about a 757% increase in the number of women in prison.

“From the taxpayer’s perspective, the price of incarcerating women is not limited to the cost of the prison cell and three meals a day,” as the authors explain. “Locking up women also means paying the tab for putting their children in foster care, treating health and mental health conditions that have worsened during incarceration, and providing public assistance and shelter for those who are homeless and destitute upon release.”

As a society, we can no longer continue to ignore what’s happening. This is already a situation far out of hand. We *cannot* afford to keep ignoring all of it. Mass incarceration (of women, men and children alike) isn’t just inhumane, it’s going to cost us our society a healthier, brighter future.

11 Responses to “Women: Hard Hit”

1. penjual souvenir pernikahan di surabaya
    August 5th, 2013 18:04

Greetings! Very effective tips on this posting! It is the minor changes that make the main changes. Thanks a lot just for showing!

2. Josh Gravin
    August 13th, 2013 06:34

Interesting analysis! quite a few readers most likely won’t be happy to read this.

3. Hank Steffy
    August 24th, 2013 09:33

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely fantastic. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous site.

4. sexkiste
    September 3rd, 2013 17:39

mydirtyhobby Amateursex Radio - UK consumers early adopters of new technologies southgatearc.orgnewsdecember2010uk_early_adopters.htm

5. Kasey Kilbert
    September 17th, 2013 12:25

This is exactly i will be attempting to find. That is what I ask quality. The data provided in this article is usually to the most successful. I must say you need to have spent it slow in setting these satisfied together. They’re relevant to your theme. I am going to suggest this specific to all and also to all my associates. I shall go back here to try out the amount of give good results. I appreciate you for producing these ensue.

6. bola
    November 15th, 2013 08:36

I’m impressed, I must say. Really not often do I encounter a blog that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the issue is something that not enough individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very comfortable that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for something referring to this.

7. Lidia
    May 4th, 2014 12:45

Un gran artículo. Llevaba mucho tiempo buscando esta información. Gracias! Besos!

8. traders insurance
    July 9th, 2014 04:55

traders insurance

WIMN’s Voices » Women: Hard Hit

9. słupki na ogrodzenie
    August 1st, 2014 11:53

Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I’m impressed! Very helpful information specifically the final phase :) I handle such information much. I was seeking this certain info for a very lengthy time. Thanks and good luck.

10. Scottie Slipp
    October 2nd, 2014 09:58

This is a way to chew over explaining this.

11. gadanie
    January 29th, 2015 06:30

Fajna sukienka o jasnych rysach