MTV’s “Juvies”

stalvis Icon Posted by Silja J.A. Talvi

February 10th, 2007

The popularity of one of the longest-running shows on television, COPS, says a lot about how fascinated Americans continue to be with “law and order,” and the sensational aspects of what happens when people suffer from mental illness, get addicted to drugs, abuse themselves and others, and/or take out their misdirected rage (including misogyny, homophobia, and racism) in any number of ways.

I actually find it nearly impossible to watch that show for more than a few minutes at as time because I’ve already seen so much of that stuff in my life, up close and personal, and so find it rather nauseating to participate in the spectacle of it all. (Although I continue to wonder, with my dark sense of humor, about why nearly every man on that show has his shirt off when he’s taken down. Is it some kind of primal reaction to threat? Who knows! One can only speculate … )

A new show about the criminal justice system on cable television, however, truly has piqued my interest.

MTV’s Juvies, represents the first time that most viewers will have been introduced to the reality of day-to-day life in American juvenile halls.

The kids on this show are brought in for a variety of “offenses,” including, in the case of many of the girls, for the “crime” of running away from home. It’s hearbreaking to see the cases of the girls and boys who are trying to liberate themselves, psychologically and physically, from clearly dysfunctional homes. Sadly, some of them are abandoned by their parents once they are finally arrested and placed in juvie. Most of the other kids are in on petty offenses. Others have been ratted out or abandoned by friends who ran off the scene once something bad happened.

This isn’t so much a question of “innocence” or “guilt” but of the kinds of situations that many teenagers get into when parents are not a regular, healthy presence in their lives, or they get into the mix with other kids for whom that is the case. Sometimes, their behavior is just based on that kind of teenage, “indestructible” hubris that adolescent psychologists and psychiatrists have heem writing and talking about for quite some time. There are lots of ways to “treat” that kind of issue, but locking up a kid is hardly at the top of anybody’s list–that is, anybody who actually understands that this degree of punishment tends to excarerbate, not improve, a kid’s already skewed and/or unhealthy mindset.

But what the show actually excels at, whether it intends to or not, is showing the sheer monotony, Orwellian sterility, and ultimately dehumanizing process of juvenile detention. We watch children being shuffled off to court hearings in arm and leg shackles, all walking with their heads down, doing the penguin-like walk that hand-and-ankle-cuffing bring about.

Visits from parents are a particularly hard thing to watch, because the parents are allowed no physical contact whatsoever. A violation gets the kid eight hours in isolation. No hand holding allowed because “the parents might slip something to the kids.”

These are children. Need I say again? Children, who are at a pivotal point in their adolescent development, being locked down and treated as though they were hardened adult criminals.

Yes, they’re in trouble, to varying degrees. But in the absence of intensive intervention, counseling services, group support, what we see is the harsh, brutal truth of what most of our juvenile detention centers have “evolved” into: Cold, concrete rooms with bare-bones mattresses; page after page after page of rules; humiliating scrub downs with Lysol and body searches; and severe punishment in isolation if someone “talks back” too much.

Does all of this scare the kids? Of course. You can see the shame and humiliation on the faces of even the “toughest” of kids. But once we’re allowed to listen in on some of their conversations, we get to see them for who they are. Victims and survivors. Kids who pray together before court hearings. Kids who simply want to have healthy relationships with their parents, but can’t figure out how to do so. Misfits and rebels, in some cases, who just want to be left alone and express themselves, although they may be doing so currently in unhealthy ways.

If you haven’t seen this show, I actually recommend you check it out. Check out some of the comments and judgments made by the primary judge and prosecutor, and check out the dynamics between these kids and the people incarcerating them. At this point, the only woman who deserves commendation of any kind is the intake officer, who actually sees and responds to the kid in front of her without judgment, and, so far, without apparent regard to the color of their skin.

To be clear: I don’t recommend this show because it represents how we should be treating kids, but I recommend it so that you can see how inhumane the whole process of juvenile incarceration has become.

13 Responses to “MTV’s “Juvies””

1. M40354
    July 23rd, 2013 14:18

In march, more than 20 teams of wuxi tourist, where less than two hours to have been robbed, leading the bridge of the nose was broken

2. Economy 70-F Safety Glasses
    February 18th, 2014 12:50

You see, in the midst of a severe recession, but there are lots of key tax credits that allow you economy heating enjoy
    the essentials. In some ways, this can be quite vital.
    So idea of investing in metals because it has overestimated projected income from oil exports in its 2010 budget.

Feel free to visit my web site: Economy 70-F Safety Glasses

3. Cocktail Dresses
    March 24th, 2014 02:06

Whats Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & help different users like its aided me. Great job.

4. Stephen Zuidema
    March 31st, 2014 02:52

Very efficiently written article. It will be beneficial to anyone who usess it, including me. Keep up the good work - looking forward to more posts.

5. 1967 chevy biscayne 4 door
    May 29th, 2014 05:09

This is getting a bit added subjective, on the contrary I a great deal prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is unusual, has more stylishness, and some cool features comparable Mixview’ that let you rapidly distinguish interconnected albums, songs, or else other users correlated to what you’re listening to. Clicking by one of those will meeting point proceeding that item, and another set of “neighbors” will get nearer hooked on view, allowing you to navigate just about exploring by similar artists, songs, before users. Dialogue of users, the Zune “Social” is too fantastic entertainment, charter you attain others with shared tastes and apt friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist produced based taking place an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Persons uneasy with privacy will ensue relieved to know you can prevent the civic starting seeing your own listening way of life if you so choose.

6. list top videos 2006
    July 27th, 2014 02:12

Hi there,First of all Delighted New Year to all!! I hope you had an awesome time partying!! Properly, that is a thing not really related to the topic right here, but I require urgent aid·I got caught with my iphone as I? not able to accessibility the internet on it. I will very appreciate if any person could enable me out sorting out of the concern!! Thanks in advance for the kind assistance!!Cheers!! Kattie

7. hdwallsin.com
    August 6th, 2014 13:09

This new bill would allow citizens of Michigan to legally purchase
    and carry a Taser. There are concerns that London is one way of releasing us
    from our addiction of control. Check, too, tenants can be dreary.
    Unluckily things just do not possess the answers to
    questions first before you become a landlord. Aside
    from rental services, which are present in this area or any other restrictions in place for the renewal of
    insurance or safety inspections. By: Vita V A computer rental is a
    different experience for every family.

Have a look at my web-site: guaranteed rent insurance (hdwallsin.com)

8. Pueraria Mirifica
    September 22nd, 2014 21:47

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

9. torty weselne
    February 9th, 2015 00:32

Perfect operate you have got finished, this page is de facto great with fantastic information and facts. Time is God’s strategy for keeping every little thing from going on directly.

10. oczepiny
    February 9th, 2015 00:47

Woman of Alien

11. pinoy channel
    September 9th, 2015 22:19

My plate is real full and your tryna give me much more food, boy what the fuck is wrong wit’ you?!|guruisthebomb|

12. next
    September 12th, 2015 19:37

You developed some decent points there. I looked on the net for any problem and located most individuals goes along with together along with your web site.

13. Castiga acum
    September 13th, 2016 13:26

Thank you for your entire work on this website. My mother loves doing investigation and it’s easy to see why. All of us notice all regarding the compelling ways you render vital solutions via your blog and welcome response from other individuals on that matter then our simple princess is truly being taught so much. Have fun with the remaining portion of the year. Your carrying out a glorious job.