jpozners Icon Posted by Jennifer L Pozner

April 18th, 2007

Do you consider humiliating, degrading, objectifying and infantilizing women for the profit of advertisers and corporate media owners quality entertainment?

Neither do I, as I explained this weekend on the PBS debate show To The Contrary, in a taped “Behind the Headlines” interview with host Bonnie Erbe:

The video above is about four minutes long, and includes only the interview (if anyone reading has a digital copy of the ensuing debate about sexism in reality TV among To The Contrary’s four guests and host, please let me know).

It was gratifying to be able to bring a progressive media critique of reality TV and the economic forces driving the genre to a serious public affairs program, because even though most people view shows like ABC’s The Bachelor and Extreme Makeover, CW’s America’s Next Top Model, Fox’s Joe Millionaire, NBC’s Who Wants to Marry My Dad? and VH1’s Flavor of Love as harmless fluff or, at worst, guilty pleasures, I really believe that these programs have deep and damaging significance for our society. The manufactured, manipulated “reality” of so-called “unscripted” dating, mating, makeover and modeling shows function as the cultural arm of the backlash against women, yet after about six years of increasingly disturbing programming, To The Contrary’s short interview and debate was (unfortunately) the most in-depth attention I’ve seen any nationally syndicated news program devote to this topic to date.

For the last six years, as part of the media analysis program of Women In Media & News, I’ve been doing my best to draw critical attention to the reality TV genre in multimedia presentations on college campuses (I’ll come to your school if you want - just be in touch), magazine articles and blog posts, and, sometimes, via commentary in media outlets.

My hope is that with increasing scrutiny to this topic on public affairs programs like To The Contrary (and op-eds and blog posts and letters to editors, advertisers and networks written by people like you), more of us will begin to think critically about — and reject — the images and the ideas that are being sold to us by reality TV producers, and the product placement advertisers who influence the content, sets, dialog and even plotlines of these programs.

PS: If you have tips about particularly vile representations of gender, race, class or sexuality issues in specific reality TV episodes, please send them my way — video tape/YouTube them if you can, but send your tips to info [at] wimnonline.org. They may become fodder for future blog posts — or material/research for the book I’m working on about reality TV as cultural backlash against women.

Thoughts about reality TV? Share them in the comments field below.

22 Responses to “Video: WIMN’s reality TV analysis on PBS - advertiser-driven sexism is serious business”

1. Styropian
    August 30th, 2013 05:28

I`ve read it aI`ve found your site today. Yes, it is absolutely truth. Thanks for your post.

2. thoi trang han quoc
    November 12th, 2013 02:02

Mot vai cach mix do nang dong phong cach thoi trang Han Quoc thu dong nam 2013 .Nhungmau quan ao pastel sang mau. sau day la mot so bo set ao tu ten tuoi thoi trang han quoc Stylementor, giay Styleline thoi trang Han Quoc

3. Elke Mesquita
    November 27th, 2013 21:34

I’ll gear this review to 2 types of people: current Zune owners who are considering an upgrade, and people trying to decide between a Zune and an iPod. (There are other players worth considering out there, like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed decision of the Zune vs players other than the iPod line as well.)

4. home improvement raleigh nc
    December 15th, 2013 04:28

Good write-up, I am regular visitor of one¡¦s website, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

5. Deshawn Schriefer
    January 4th, 2014 11:12

Brilliant blog site posts stick to it. I discovered you on Google.

6. recette de cuisine
    February 7th, 2014 01:53

Hello there! This really is kind of off matter however i require some advice from a proven website. Is it difficult to set up your own website? I am not so techincal having said that i can figure points out quite swift. I’m thinking of generating my own but I’m uncertain where to start. Are you experiencing any details or recommendations? Value it

7. volleyball clothes
    March 23rd, 2014 19:32

Well I really liked reading it. This post offered by you is very constructive for proper planning.

8. Cocktail Dresses
    March 24th, 2014 01:05

Hello, Neat post. There is a problem together with your site in internet explorer, could check this¡K IE still is the market leader and a large component of other people will miss your great writing due to this problem.

9. マイケルコース アウトレット 店舗
    March 30th, 2014 14:55

10. website here
    June 21st, 2014 06:14

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too great. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

11. thiet ke thang may gia dinh sakura mitsubishi
    June 21st, 2014 19:36

gia dinh mitsubishi sakura thiet ke Thang May Mitsubishi Thoi Trang Best Mum In Phu Nu Tre 8 Thang May Can Gia dinh Can Tuyen Gia Su

12. Newton Derian
    September 9th, 2014 07:27

I rarely write comments, but i did some searching and wound up here WIMN’s Voices » Video: WIMN&. And I do have a few questions for you if you don’t mind. Is it just me or does it seem like some of the remarks appear as if they are coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on other places, I’d like to follow anything fresh you have to post. Would you make a list of every one of your social pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

13. Joel
    March 8th, 2015 06:29

Thhat pսts e-commerce sites on a siցnificant
    level playing field. Τhis article աill mention Internet marketing leading tο finding a master’ѕ degree in Internet marketing online.
    Ϝoг еxample in the event you run а eightloss nutrition practice take іnto consideration partnering up աhich
    haѕ a exercise website.

Also visit mmy pagge - diagnosiing colon cancer (Joel)

14. Randall Sauls
    May 5th, 2015 19:17

Great Post

15. parchet bambus
    August 5th, 2015 02:39

There are some intriguing cut-off dates on this post but I don know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity even so I will take preserve opinion until I look into it further. Very good write-up , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively

16. chess secrets
    August 27th, 2015 10:22

Very interesting subject, thank you for putting up.

17. pinoy tambayan
    September 9th, 2015 21:45

Amazing website. A lot of helpful info here. I’m sending it to some friends ans in addition sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you to your effort!

18. start turners pumps
    September 10th, 2015 21:50

Private Krankenversicherung - Nur dann, wenn Sie sich für die Absicherung über die Rentenversicherung entschieden haben, dann können Sie sich sicher sein, dass Sie im Alter so viel Geld haben, damit Sie Ihren Lebensstandard halten können.

19. Australia's most unreliable bank
    September 11th, 2015 00:31

I think this web site has got extremely wonderful indited written content material articles .

20. next
    September 12th, 2015 19:02

You’re the most effective, It is posts like this that keep me coming back and checking this website regularly, thanks for the info!

21. Dyan Grivas
    September 20th, 2015 04:00

One other issue issue is that video games are normally serious in nature with the primary focus on understanding rather than entertainment. Although, it has an entertainment part to keep your young ones engaged, every single game is often designed to work on a specific set of skills or programs, such as math concepts or scientific research. Thanks for your article.

22. To Fill You In – genderobjectification