Sisterhood, Interrupted… by misleading media and popular culture

GuestBloggers Icon Posted by Guest Blogger

July 23rd, 2007

By Guest Blogger Deborah Siegel

‘Tis open season for intergenerational warfare between older and younger women — or so the mainstream media would have us believe. While on the road with my new book, Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild these past two months, I’ve caught, in my peripheral vision, glimpses of this latest so-called catfight writ large. NBC’s “Age of Love” aired while I was gone—a show where, as written about here on WIMN’s Voices, “cougars” and “kittens” are encouraged to duke it out for the (fake) love of a fickle bachelor. Snarky Washington Post coverage of a block party for Hillary Clinton pitted younger women against their older counterparts as well.

At the same time as we’re bombarded with images of claw-bearing and tension, I’ve been heartened by the conversations and connections I’ve seen happening among women across ages at my readings. Getting beyond the stereotypes we have of each other is key. So is a mutual understanding of our different contexts, as I write about in the following excerpt adapted from my book:

It is ironic, perhaps, that members of a generation raised on the Barbie slogan, “You Can Do Anything” and philosophies that emanated from hit albums like Free to Be You and Me today demonstrate scant awareness of women’s collective power. Younger women, who are more likely to be single, are portrayed on television, in Hollywood and in the news as being more concerned with dating than changing the world. Polls proclaim that only 22 percent of unmarried women under thirty regularly vote. Popular culture reinforces — by amplifying — this assumed image of apathy. On shows like Laguna Beach, or in starlets-turned-role models like Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson, younger women are portrayed as more obsessed with lip gloss, Manolo Blahniks and “hotness” than liberation, critical mass and social change. What has happened to us, the daughters of women’s liberation? This is hardly the world the architects of a movement for women’s social, political and economic equality envisioned. It’s no wonder the aging visionaries seem upset.

But these are stereotypes. It’s not as if women of a younger generation are sitting on their duffs. They are coming of age in a world that has changed—though, as many of them recognize, not enough. Yes, women of Generations X and Y live in a different environment, but it is no less complex than the one Boomer women faced. The difference, and the problem, is that they often lack an awareness that many of their conflicts are shared. In a recent book on how the stakes have changed for a new generation, Midlife Crisis at Thirty, Gen X-ers Lia Macko and Kerry Rubin offer their personal anxiety attacks as evidence of a broader generational angst. That angst, they argue, is a response to the lingering social and economic contradictions that continue to affect women of all ages—or, as they put it, the gap between women’s progress and old-school corporate structures and rigid social conventions. It’s the gap between What Has Changed and What Has Stayed the Same. In this breach, confusion is born: We’ve come a long way . . . maybe.

So where do we go from here?

The trendy notion that we are living in a “postfeminist” era has lulled many young women into inertia. Younger women assume their equality and take it for granted, but they aren’t the first to dismiss the movement prematurely. The word “postfeminist” was first uttered in 1919—just a few decades after the coining of the word “feminist”—by a group of female literary radicals in Greenwich Village who rejected the feminism of their mothers, one year before women won the right to vote. To the generation that came of age in the 1920s—many of them dancing, bobbed-haired fun-seekers—feminism seemed unfashionable and obsolete. The word “postfeminist” was resurrected in the backlash 1980s to describe an era in which feminism was, once again, deemed unhip and unnecessary. In a New York Times Magazine article published in 1982, Susan Bolotin popularized the idea that women in their twenties were fast becoming “postfeminists.” The media ran with this term, as did conservatives pundits, who were all too happy to dance gleefully once again on feminism’s so-called grave.

If “postfeminist” is a word twice coined to describe an era that is past patriarchy, surely the word—though popular—is woefully premature. Without a doubt, second-wave feminists opened doors. Title IX. Roe v. Wade. Later, the Violence against Women Act. But today, two of these crowning and hard-won achievements are in danger of being yanked away. Having made tremendous inroads in politics, business and law, in 2006 still only 14 of 100 U.S. senators and 67 of 435 representatives were women. Following the 2006 midterm elections, there will be more women in Congress than ever before, but so far the percentage has only gone up from 15.4 to 16.4. The number of female Supreme Court justices has recently been reduced by 50 percent (from 2 to 1), and the only female president this country has seen is Geena Davis, the doe-eyed movie star who played President MacKenzie Allen on ABC’s short-lived drama Commander in Chief. Despite the significantly high numbers of women receiving law degrees, PhDs, and MBAs—more, in some cases, than men—women are only 20 percent of full professors and 15.6 percent of partners at law firms. Thirteen years after feminists switched the voice boxes of Teen Talk Barbie doll (“Math is hard!”) and Talking Duke G.I. Joe (“Eat lead, Cobra!”), we have Harvard’s then-president, Lawrence Summers, telling us that women might be biologically inferior in science, and one of the world’s leading advertising executives, Neil French, telling us that women creative directors are “crap.” Only 2.6 percent of Fortune 500 CEOs are women, and, according to The White House Project, an organization that tracks women’s political influence and authority, women make up only 14 percent of guests on the five Sunday morning talk shows.

Equal pay for equal work is still a joke. For every dollar a man earns, a woman still earns only 77 cents—an increase from the 59 cents she earned when the second wave of feminism began, but still far from equal. Women own only 1 percent of the world’s assets. We continue to make up the majority of the world’s poor. We are disproportionately victims of violent crime.

How do younger women reconcile the gap between the tremendous opportunities they’ve been given and the inequalities that persist? How do they continue the fight for equality when they are constantly told—by the media, by each other, and often by their leaders—how good they already have it?

Guest Blogger Deborah Siegel is the author of Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild

25 Responses to “Sisterhood, Interrupted… by misleading media and popular culture”

1. social media handbook
    November 28th, 2013 09:12

Regards for helping out, superb information. “Considering how dangerous everything is, nothing is really very frightening.” by Gertrude Stein.

2. ways to last longer in bed
    December 8th, 2013 09:53

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t consider just how so much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

3. renovation companies
    December 18th, 2013 01:15

Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your website in internet explorer, would check this¡K IE still is the marketplace leader and a large section of other folks will omit your great writing because of this problem.

4. recette de cuisine new york
    February 1st, 2014 07:58

57 year-old Telecommunications Engineer Pedro Behrend from Westlock, likes skiing, recette and rc model cars. Completed a cruise ship experience that included passing by Al-Khutm and Al-Ayn.

5. http://compsoc.man.ac.uk/~jsadeghi/pt/wiki/doku.php?id=Crystal_Earrings_-_Tips_For_Jewelry_Fans
    March 23rd, 2014 16:16

Click Here

[…]I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this blog. I’m hoping to check out the same high-grade content from you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal blog now ;) […

6. Sexual Assault
    March 23rd, 2014 23:37

Thanks for any other informative website. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal method? I’ve a challenge that I’m simply now working on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

7. bathroomdesign
    March 23rd, 2014 23:38

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

8. basketball jerseys
    March 24th, 2014 02:11

I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website :)

9. How to stop Early Ejaculation?
    April 25th, 2014 21:19

Wow! This could be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Magnificent. I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.

10. Outdoor Wicker Furniture
    August 11th, 2014 22:38

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you’ve put in writing this website. I’m hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings fast. Your write up is a great example of it.

11. luxury lingerie manchester
    October 10th, 2014 13:17

this is nice - wow :-)

12. who writes maroon 5 songs
    February 15th, 2015 14:56

Appreciate the recommendation. Willl try it out.

13. ebook frostfire download
    February 26th, 2015 03:46

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too fantastic.
    I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and
    the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care
    for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you.

This is actually a great site.

14. parchet bambus
    August 5th, 2015 02:42

Thank you pertaining to sharing that outstanding written content material on your internet site. I ran into it on google. I am going to check back again once you publish considerably much more aricles.

15. snapchat hacks
    September 4th, 2015 10:07

A topic close to my heart several thanks, i’ve been thinking about about this subject for some time.

16. canada furniture
    September 6th, 2015 13:12

Oh my goodness! an incredible write-up dude. Thank you Even so I am experiencing difficulty with ur rss . Don know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody obtaining equivalent rss drawback? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

17. Hyundai Houston dealreship
    September 6th, 2015 13:43

I truly wanted to make a brief comment to be able to appreciate you for these nice strategies you might be giving out on this site. My particularly long internet appear up has lastly been compensated with reliable content material to go over with my neighbours. I ‘d say that several of us readers are undoubtedly endowed to be in a fantastic network with so several marvellous individuals with helpful techniques. I feel truly privileged to have used your entire website and appear forward to so numerous much more awesome minutes reading here. Thank you once far more for a lot of points.

18. My Personal Diabetes Success test
    September 12th, 2015 01:06

It can be difficult to write about this subject. I believe you did an outstanding job though! Thanks for this!

19. deutschland free run
    October 2nd, 2015 13:21

Just wanna admit that this is handy , Thanks for taking your time
    to write this.

20. pret personnel sans justificatif
    October 5th, 2015 22:46

Au moyen des simulations en ligne, confrontez les meilleures
    propositions de Pret personnel sans justificatif sur votre portail CreditNeto.

21. pret personnel sans justificatif
    October 6th, 2015 00:10

Il faut dans tous les cas, demander une précision quant à
    la vraie nature de votre prêt personnel.

22. Louise
    December 2nd, 2015 01:35

West and Kardashian produced a stop for that Layout
    Dialogues 6 event during Craft Miami Beach in Ohio, wherever West was a featured speaker

23. aire acondicionado
    December 31st, 2015 11:18

Trabajamos todas las marcas de Frigoríficos: Balay, Aspes, Bosch, Candy, Saunier Duval, Corbero, Crolls, De Dietrich, Electrolux, Fagor, Fleck, General Electric, Hiyasu, Ignis, Indesit, Junkers, Kelvinator, Liebherr, Miele, Neff, New Pol, Otsein, Roca, Rosieres, Siemens, Teka, Toshiba, Vaillant, Whirlpool, Zanussi, Cointra, Daewoo, Ariston, LG, Haier, Carrier, Samsung, Panasonic, Smeg, Bauknech, AEG.

24. Studio
    August 2nd, 2016 13:15

My wife and i ended up being really contented Raymond could round up his basic research because of the precious recommendations he acquired out of the blog. It’s not at all simplistic to simply be making a gift of facts which usually some others might have been making money from. We really realize we now have the writer to thank because of that. All the explanations you made, the easy blog menu, the friendships you assist to promote - it’s got most powerful, and it is helping our son in addition to the family feel that that subject is interesting, and that’s exceptionally important. Thanks for all!

25. Angelo Pasierb
    September 18th, 2016 09:45

Its good as your other articles : D, thanks for putting up. “The present is the necessary product of all the past, the necessary cause of all the future.” by Robert Green Ingersoll.