Celebrating five years of media justice

dcuellars Icon Posted by Deanne Cuellar

July 19th, 2008

Hi, I’m Deanne Cuellar, project director of Texas Media Empowerment Project, co-founder of Local 782 in San Antonio, TX, leadership team member of MAG-Net (the Media Action Grassroots Network), and independent blogger at Krak My Apple. I’ve been signed on as a house blogger here at WIMN’s Voices for many months, now, and have been excited about joining this community of women writers to post in WIMN’s music, media and technology beats. It’s taken me a while to write this first post because, frankly, I’ve been too busy fighting for media justice on a whole lot of fronts to find the time to blog.

But I’m really inspired to jump into this blog tonight, on the fifth anniversary of the Center for Media Justice.

What better way to celebrate media justice than to come out to support the CMJ, which has confronted the racist, sexist, classist infrastructure of corporate media for the last five years? Until there is a media infrastructure that is accountable to all communities, media will continue to perpetuate injustice in this country.

We must recognize the affinity of music, media and technology, and how they affect us all. So, it is only appropriate that a musician such as Invincible — a woman whose activism is local to global — headlines CMJ’s event tonight in Oakland.

So tonight I’ll be partying with some of my best friends and allies in the media justice movement — CMJ’s Malkia Cyril and Samhita Mukhopadhyay (who both post on WIMN’s Voices periodically), Jennifer Pozner of Women In Media & News, poet and Roopa Singh, and other great CMJ staffers like Jen Soriano, Karlos Gauna Schmieder, and my new best homegirl, Oshun Turman.

26 Responses to “Celebrating five years of media justice”

1. thoi trang công sở
    October 14th, 2013 05:13

Nhung mau vay thoi trang cong so Han Quoc dep nam nay

2. finiti electronic cigarettes side effects
    November 29th, 2013 07:06

Hello, you used to write great, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your super writings. Past few posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

3. Julia
    February 11th, 2014 16:58

This post is so helpful.

4. thang may re dep
    March 1st, 2014 20:53

tphcm phu nu gia re 2014 thoi trang dep thoi trang 2014 dep thang may xu huong thoi trang thang may

5. mi hau vuong
    March 2nd, 2014 23:32

web game hau vuong

6. International Flights
    March 24th, 2014 01:54

I am continually invstigating online for ideas that can help me. Thx!

7. Stiletto Heels
    March 24th, 2014 01:54

There is evidently a bundle to realize about this. I feel you made some good points in features also.

8. Vacation Destinations
    March 24th, 2014 01:54

I haven¡¦t checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are good quality so I guess I¡¦ll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

9. Business Opportunity
    March 24th, 2014 01:54

I would like to voice my affection for your generosity for folks who really need help with in this concept. Your personal dedication to passing the solution along had been surprisingly powerful and have in every case allowed most people just like me to get to their endeavors. Your entire valuable publication can mean a great deal a person like me and further more to my office colleagues. With thanks; from everyone of us.

10. source
    June 25th, 2014 03:18

Some really prize articles on this website , saved to favorites .

11. find out
    June 30th, 2014 20:24

obviously like your website however you have to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the reality however I will certainly come again again.

12. Beach Vacation
    July 8th, 2014 03:05

Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your web site in web explorer, might check this¡K IE nonetheless is the market chief and a good component of folks will omit your fantastic writing because of this problem.

13. Diet Plan
    July 8th, 2014 03:06

Well I really liked reading it. This information procured by you is very effective for good planning.

14. Automotive Repair
    July 8th, 2014 03:06

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

15. Business ideas
    July 8th, 2014 03:06

You actually make it seem really easy with your presentation but I to find this matter to be really something which I think I’d by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely huge for me. I am taking a look ahead for your subsequent submit, I will try to get the dangle of it!

16. PĹ‚oty Plastikowe
    July 26th, 2014 07:49

Hello! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

17. phen 375
    August 12th, 2014 16:06

Really confuse to say something… I don’t think, do you?

18. Interior Design
    August 12th, 2014 16:07

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?

19. Home Insurance
    August 12th, 2014 16:08

Great blog! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am taking your feeds also

20. Fredrick
    November 4th, 2014 08:07

looked over the material on this site loads, going to take the leap
    before long and buy a steam shower cabin, in all likelihood after
    the holiday break

My blog; corner steam shower (Fredrick)

21. Meg Antonia
    January 5th, 2015 15:35

If you are a huge pizza fan there is a quite simple method to lower the quantity of calories that you eat from consuming it. You could blot each piece of pizza that you intend on consuming with a paper napkin and also that will soak up a great deal of excess oil.

22. radca prawny lodz
    January 14th, 2015 07:54

It’s an awesome article in favor of all the web users; they will get
    benefit from it I am sure.

23. Davis Dolinar
    February 22nd, 2015 21:06

The situation was distressing whenever I actually first noticed the story need to make sure that it’s actually not correct.

24. lionel messi skills and tricks
    September 4th, 2015 10:00

Hi, you used to write superb articles, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous posts. Past couple of posts are just a little out of track!

25. discount furniture
    September 6th, 2015 13:18

Spot lets start work on this write-up, I truly believe this amazing site requirements a lot more consideration. I’ll apt to be once once again to read a great deal far more, several thanks for that info.

26. Australia's most unreliable bank
    September 11th, 2015 00:14

I want to start a blog written by a fictitious character commenting on politics, current events, news etc..How?.