GuestBloggers Icon Posted by Guest Blogger

August 5th, 2009

By Guest Blogger Adele M. Stan, cross-posted with AlterNet.

In response to coverage of its “Mad Bitch” video by WIMN, TPM, AlterNet and others, WaPo has killed “Mouthpiece Theater.”

As reported here yesterday, the Women, Action and the Media (WAM!) community yesterday delivered a letter to Washington Post Executive Editor Marcus Brauchli (among the signers was yours truly), protesting the now infamous “Mad Bitch” video. Today the Mouthpiece Theater series, of which the video was a part, was killed. Here’s the Washington Post’s Howard Kurtz, in a piece explaining why the series was pulled:

In a letter to Brauchli on Tuesday that was signed by 32 women, the organization Women, Action and the Media demanded an explanation for what it called “the video’s patently sexist — and otherwise tasteless — content,” which the writers said displayed “misogyny” and “utter contempt for women” as well as racial insensitivity.

This morning, Politico’s Michael Calderone blogged about the letter, and MediaBistro’s FishbowlDC ran an item.

Last Friday, TPM’s Brian Beutler shone a light on a video produced by the Washington Post that featured one of the two columnists hosting the piece suggesting that, at a future White House beer summit, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton be given a brew called “Mad Bitch.” Then all hell broke loose.

The Post apparently thought it could fix the problem by simply pulling the video. A note was posted above the hole where the video used to be, reading that the piece had been removed because it contained material that was “inappropriate” for the Post Web site. As if it had landed there from Mars. As if it hadn’t been written and produced in the Washington Post building by Washington Post staffers.

Then, yesterday, the two columnists, Chris Cillizza and Dana Milbank had the effrontery to post what amounts to a “screw-you” response video to the criticism they had received from bloggers.

Progressives, including my colleagues at AlterNet, were having none of it. And feminists were determined to see that such a thing wouldn’t happen again.

So the series has been canceled, and Cillizza has apologized. Milbank remains pretty unrepentant, instead whining about the drubbing he took at the hands of blogosphere denizens. From Kurtz’s piece:

“It’s a brutal world out there in the blogosphere,” Milbank said. “I’m often surprised by the ferocity out there, but I probably shouldn’t be.”

Brauchli, for his part, did not exactly apologize, but said the original video constituded “a serious lapse. . . . It’s really beneath us and not something we should engage in.”

It does not appear that there will be any disciplinary action. Again, from Kurtz:

As if to signal that their standing at The Post remains unaffected, Brauchli praised both reporters. He called Cillizza “an enormous talent and someone who is closely followed and admired by a lot of journalists and people in politics. . . . Dana writes a terrific, very funny and usually very popular column on Page 2. He’s an equal-opportunity offender, and from time to time everyone’s mad at him.”

Especially bitches.

Addie in hat
Guest Blogger Adele M. Stan is a blogger, author and editor. She is currently AlterNet’s acting Washington bureau chief.

14 Responses to “Responding To Women’s Concerns, Washington Post Kills Offensive Video Series; Cillizza Apologizes , Milbank Whines”

1. chemical suppliers
    July 18th, 2013 02:44

I have been brooding about in case your web host is OK?

2. coffee machines
    August 7th, 2013 14:54

Just a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style and design. “Individuals may form communities, but it is institutions alone that can create a nation.” by Benjamin Disraeli.

3. ownyourstylenow
    August 11th, 2013 17:10

4. librador.ru
    September 11th, 2013 03:50

my website :: cheap car insurance for young drivers (librador.ru)

5. chemical suppliers
    September 25th, 2013 01:00

I actually like what you have acquired here.

6. chemical suppliers
    October 2nd, 2013 01:08

Though I do not necessarily concur with the idea in totality, I regard your point of view.

7. Canon T5i Black Friday Deals
    November 19th, 2013 12:34

Helpful Blog! We appeared to be just discussing there are lots screwy outcomes at the issue you now purely changed my very own belief. Thank you really significantly a perfect writeup

8. Adam Laniado
    November 28th, 2013 00:26

Hello, Neat post. There is a problem along with your site in internet explorer, could check this… IE nonetheless is the market leader and a good portion of other folks will miss your fantastic writing due to this problem.

9. See More
    January 14th, 2014 03:08

I’m now not sure where you are getting your information, however good topic. I needs to spend a while finding out more or working out more. Thank you for wonderful info I used to be looking for this info for my mission.

10. article on music-a source of inspiration
    January 29th, 2014 04:46

Hiya, Je suis juste definitely happy J’ai found these details. À l’heure actuelle bloggers post just about Commères et web et this est vraiment is aggravating. Une puissance website avec exciting content, it est exactement ce que J’ai besoin. Merci for maintaining this web site, j’ai will être browsing il. Allez-vous news letters de faire ? Dévers think il is.

11. Luciana Rizk
    February 10th, 2014 22:47

It’s a wonderful thing for me. I thank you for what you bring to this time.Let’s see, I have a web http://www.WallOvens.hotnew-items.com

12. Renewable Energy
    March 24th, 2014 01:41

Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is just great and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

13. バーバリー 財布 ブラックレーベル
    March 30th, 2014 14:57

14. Bonnefoy
    March 30th, 2014 20:43

Work From Home - Work At Home & Online Jobs I am not a representative for ANY of these companies nor am I getting paid. I am just sharing information with you that I have obtained from the research that I have done.