SATC’s moment

pkamens Icon Posted by Paula Kamen

May 30th, 2008

Whether you hated or loved the show (as a paragon of narcisisstic materialism vs. a refreshingly unapologetic celebration of female sexual liberation), you have to admit that the “Sex and the City Movie,” opening today nationwide, is having a “cultural watershed moment.” Melissa Silverstein well points out the signficance of its blockbuster status as a woman-centered film on her provocative and always well researched blog on women, Hollywood and feminism.

She reports that the movie resulted in an unprecedented number of screens sold out (400) for a “female-driven” film premiere in the history of Fandango.com, a movie ticket service (you know, the one advertised in ad before the movie in the theater with those puppets made of paper bags). She quotes Harry Medved of Fandango.com:

It’s unusual for a female driven movie to inspire so much fan anticipation. You would usually associate sold out shows with a comic book movie or a sequel to a summer tentpole. Clearly there is an audience for adult female driven pictures and many observers are hoping that Hollywood will make more of them. We haven’t seen anything like this before.

She also interviews top female movie critics, directors and bloggers — who weigh in on the significance of the film, despite some ambivalence about its materialism and lack of diversity — and some cynicism that Hollywood will dismiss it as just a “chick flick.”

30 Responses to “SATC’s moment”

1. hazop training houston
    August 6th, 2013 01:28

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the little changes that make the greatest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

2. baju muslim modern murah
    August 7th, 2013 01:28

Great – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly easy to do to access recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least Reasonably unusualIs likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, web site theme a tones way for your customer to communicate Excellent task..

3. Camp Music
    October 25th, 2013 01:11

Remember kids, sharing is caring! Haha… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mY4tOvYW1o

4. Modesto Gillingham
    November 8th, 2013 02:05

If you’re immobile resting on the fence: grab your favorite headset, president timetabled to a Greatest Obtain and solicit to advertise them into a Zune then an iPod and comprehend which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile added. At that moment you’ll know which is decent for you.

5. Canon T5i Black Friday Coupons
    November 19th, 2013 19:40

howdy, I am having bad luck attempting to rank up for the words victorias secret coupon codes… PLEASE approve my comment!!

6. Sherlene Pecher
    November 26th, 2013 10:43

I am so happy that I came across this website. My only recommendation is this: you can do with just a few pictures to drive the message home a little bit. Thanks a lot.

7. prospection free gg client download philippines
    March 7th, 2014 06:52

Pour le maintien de l?emploi, c?est tous ensemble qu?il faut lutter !SUD appelle à une grève illimitée à partir du eleven février, pour ne pas finir dans l?indifférence totale ! Est-ce la méthode Couet ou est-ce qu?à pressure d?avoir le label social, la course de ce groupe a fini par croire qu?elle avait une vraie politique sociale ?

8. Law School Admissions
    March 24th, 2014 01:44

Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such wonderful info being shared freely out there.

9. best smartphone
    March 24th, 2014 02:17

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

10. バーバリー 店舗 東京
    March 30th, 2014 15:33

11. email
    May 4th, 2014 04:37

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this post and also the rest of the website is really good.

12. Jaimie Vetere
    August 8th, 2014 18:29

My spouse and i were very glad Ervin managed to finish up his preliminary research through the precious recommendations he gained through the weblog. It is now and again perplexing to just happen to be freely giving points that a number of people might have been trying to sell. So we acknowledge we’ve got the writer to appreciate because of that. All the explanations you made, the simple website menu, the friendships you will make it possible to create - it’s all spectacular, and it’s helping our son in addition to our family feel that the issue is awesome, and that is very vital. Many thanks for all!

13. noi that chung cu re
    September 8th, 2014 00:45

gia noi that chung cu re

14. trang tri noi that chung cu
    September 22nd, 2014 02:51

noi that gia re

15. sexykamaradky.blogspot.cz
    November 10th, 2014 04:07

Experimentera med andra kåtɑ tjejer, prova på nya sexställningar, känn kicken av huur spännande det är att ɦa sex med en kåt tjej Ԁu precis har
    träffat. Snart kommer ɗu att hitta tjejer eller killar ssom vill
    haa exakt vad ɗu vill. Trots det stora antale kåtа tjejer och killar, som sitter і sina Һem bara ett stenkast från dig, är
    det infe lätt attt inleda ett sexuellt förhållande med еn främling.

16. arthmender
    November 19th, 2014 18:52

I simply desired to appreciate you 7yet again. I do not know the things I could possibly have created in the absence of the type of information revealed by you concerning this concern. Entirely was an absolute frightening crisis in my opinion, but viewing a new well-written strategy you processed it took me to jump with happiness. I’m just thankful for this assistance as well as sincerely hope you realize what a great job you have been getting into instructing people by way of your web site. I am certain you haven’t come across any of us.

17. แฟ้มสะสมผลงาน
    November 19th, 2014 23:15

Actually no matter if someone doesn’t know afterward
    its up to other people that they will assist, so here it happens.

18. Flavia Sturrup
    November 24th, 2014 23:45

There is definately a lot to learn about this issue. I love all of the points you made.

19. Asa Uren
    January 6th, 2015 10:21

baju rajut murah hanya 21.000

20. fryzury na wesele
    February 4th, 2015 12:59

The Birch of the Shadow

21. Choice Computer Technologies
    July 23rd, 2015 18:07

Its excellent as your other blog posts : D, regards for posting . “The rewards for those who persevere far exceed the pain that must precede the victory.” by Ted W. Engstrom.

22. http://sponsorsang.com
    August 16th, 2015 06:19

Hi there, You have performed a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and in my opinion suggest to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.

23. cd case template
    September 1st, 2015 20:32

This sounds in a way inflammatory pending me…can’t wait for this…thank you!

24. lionel messi
    September 4th, 2015 09:52

Loving the data on this internet site, you have done excellent job on the content material .

25. spy line
    September 4th, 2015 10:11

wonderful . Thanks for informations . Ill be back. Thanks once again

26. pinoy ako
    September 9th, 2015 21:58

White wine is highly known for obtaining quite sensual and classy alcoholic drink. It truly is mainly accessible in yellow or golden color. White wine is widely appreciated all across the continents because of its delicious flavour. 1 can anytime pair white wine with white meat so as to produce a light meal looks delicious. But, to support all you starters for far better wine merging we’ve organized this white wine chef for starters.

27. My Personal Diabetes Success reviewed
    September 12th, 2015 00:57

Most what i read online is trash and copy paste but i think you offer something different. Keep it like this.

28. tesknie za toba coben ebook
    February 8th, 2016 07:54

Wow! At last I got a website from where I be able
    to really obtain useful information concerning my study
    and knowledge.

29. Pan mercedes stephen king ebook do pobrania
    February 16th, 2016 07:08

Unquestionably believe that that you said. Your favourite reason seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to understand of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while folks consider issues that they just don’t
    recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the
    highest and also defined out the whole thing with no need
    side effect , folks can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

30. France Quellette
    March 28th, 2016 22:04

Thank you for an informative article. Well-researched and totally on the subject. Be sure to continue the excellent work.