An Open Letter to Ugly Betty’s America Ferrera

GuestBloggers Icon Posted by Guest Blogger

January 19th, 2007

An open letter to America Ferrera, star of ABC’s Ugly Betty.
by Guest Blogger Olivia Ortiz

Dear Ms. Ferrera,

I found myself openly weeping with you as you took the stage to accept your Golden Globe award for “Best Actress” on Monday night. From your acceptance speech, I quote: “I hear from young girls on a daily basis how Betty makes them feel worthy and loveable and how they have more to offer the world than they thought.” As a young Latina feminist, I wanted to shout from the rooftop of my building my congratulations to you and to say thank you – thank you for exemplifying the class, ethnic and body ideals of this woman and of real women the world over.

As I watched you speak about your win, I thought back to a time when I first came to know beauty on my own terms. Perhaps like many young Latinas, before I knew you as Betty Suárez, I knew you as Ana, the young Mexican-American woman from East Los Angeles in Patricia Cardoso’s 2002 film, Real Women Have Curves. Perhaps unlike many young Latinas, however, by summer’s end of the same year the film was released, I had just endured a season in the Texas pageant circuit. Before meeting your headstrong and unapologetic feminist character in Cardoso’s film, I had met and internalized a vastly different knowledge of beauty – a knowledge mostly having to do with spray-on self-tanner and strappy heels. My transformation from aimless college co-ed in her early 20’s to dedicated and fierce feminist activist in her early 20’s I owe to fearless characters like Ana and Betty Suárez, and to fearless women like you, Ms. Ferrera.

I offer a warm congratulations and a thank you to you and to fellow feminist and Ugly Betty executive producer, Salma Hayek. Estoy muy agradecida, I am very grateful, for two incredible feminists like you who have taken the risk to remind countless numbers of young women that intelligence and ambition can defy more than just a Hollywood genre. After all, as race and media expert Yeidy Rivero points out in the latest Ms., “How many working-class, Mexican-American, clumsy, allegedly ‘ugly,’ intelligent women with an illegal-immigrant father have been portrayed on U.S. television? Until Betty’s arrival, none.” I take pride in this arrival, feeling confident that I stand with millions of other young Latin women as we all walk a little taller.

I look forward to following your career in film and television and anticipate an exciting new season from my new favorite show, a show where beauty looks less like a dream and a lot more like equality. ! Adelante Ugly Betty¡

In solidarity,
Olivia Ortiz

Bio: Guest Blogger Olivia Ortiz is a Mexican American feminist activist, a writer, and a staffer at the Feminist Majority Foundation, where she serves as a coordinator of West Coast campus programs.

17 Responses to “An Open Letter to Ugly Betty’s America Ferrera”

1. %26%231588%3B%26%231585%3B%26%231603%3B%26%231577%3B%26%2332%3B%26%231603%3B%26%231588%3B%26%231601%3B%26%2332%3B%26%231578%3B%26%231587%3B%26%231585%3B%26%231576%3B%26%231575%3B%26%231578%3B%26%2332%3B%26%231605%3B%26%231610%3B%26%231575%3B%26%231607%3B
    October 1st, 2015 22:28

so much good data on here, : D.

2. commonwealth bank
    October 3rd, 2015 07:29

How to transfer firefox bookmarks from one laptop to another laptop?

3. scottage arras
    October 5th, 2015 07:36

Bonjour ! Cool j’ai bien aimé ! Merci pour cette lecture tiptop

4. best background checks
    October 10th, 2015 19:42

I genuinely like your writing style, good data, appreciate it for posting : D.

5. Shad Demers
    October 11th, 2015 04:53

Thanks for another informative website. Where else could I get that type of information written in such a perfect way? I have a project that I’m just now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

6. books
    October 11th, 2015 18:43

You will find a handful of intriguing points at some point in this posting but I don’t determine if I see these center to heart. There exists some validity but Let me take hold opinion until I take a look at it further. Excellent write-up , thanks and we want a good deal more! Combined with FeedBurner too

7. spisdiet
    October 11th, 2015 19:32

Enjoyed reading this, extremely excellent stuff, thankyou .

8. foyer light
    October 13th, 2015 07:16

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a co-worker who had been doing a little homework on this. And he actually bought me dinner simply because I found it for him… lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending time to talk about this subject here on your web site.|

9. starting a consulting business
    November 8th, 2015 21:51

Well I sincerely liked studying it. This post provided by you is very useful for correct planning.

10. small home business ideas
    November 8th, 2015 22:23

Hello.This post was extremely motivating, particularly because I was looking for thoughts on this issue last Thursday.

11. %26%231491%3B%26%231512%3B%26%231493%3B%26%231512%3B%26%2332%3B%26%231492%3B%26%231500%3B%26%231493%3B%26%231497%3B
    November 13th, 2015 10:26

Thanks a great deal for your intriguing article. I’ve been searching for such message for a extremely long time. Not all your content is completely clear to me, even though it is certainly interesting and worth reading.

12. %26%231491%3B%26%231512%3B%26%231493%3B%26%231512%3B%26%2332%3B%26%231492%3B%26%231500%3B%26%231493%3B%26%231497%3B
    November 13th, 2015 10:56

You made some excellent points there. I did a search on the topic and found a lot of people will agree together with your weblog.

13. kaliforniya solucani
    November 14th, 2015 22:32

This internet web site is truly a walk-through for all of the information you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you will undoubtedly discover it.

14. vaillance courtage
    November 14th, 2015 22:53

For anyone one of the lucky people’s, referring purchase certain products, and in addition you charm all with the envy of all of the the a lot of any other individuals around you that tend to have effort as such make a difference. motor movers

15. internette para kazanma
    November 16th, 2015 21:22

I truly appreciate this post. I’ve been seeking all more than for this! Thank goodness I discovered it on Bing. You’ve created my day! Thank you again..

16. Woodside
    November 16th, 2015 22:39

Psychological focal point, training, likability, aspect, calm yet rely on. Nonetheless these are some of the items Tang Soo Use, your current Mandarin chinese style developed by self defense, can show we and additionally instilling in your soul the power not only to fight you and your family about the craft the really first hazards signs in conflict altogether.

17. restposten spielzeug
    November 28th, 2015 08:33

First-rate site I tend to be of the same opinion with most of what you wrote. I would like to see more posts on this. I will bookmark and come back.