jpozners Icon Posted by Jennifer L Pozner

February 26th, 2008

Even though the human, environmental and economic impact of Hurricane Katrina is still deeply felt throughout the regions that were ravaged by the disaster, the ongoing personal and political tolls of Katrina have fallen away from the headlines and out of public debate.

This is just one of many ways media have failed the American people their treatment of one of the worst natural disasters in the history of our country.

On Thursday, Feb. 28, as part of Women In Media & News’s lecture series , I will be delivering the following multi-media presentation at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ:

WHAT: Race, Class, Gender, and Katrina: The Human Impact of Disasterous Reporting
WHEN: 02/28/2008, 8:00 p.m.
WHERE: Rutgers University Student Activities Center, River Lounge, 613 George St., New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Please note: This lecture is free and open to the public. However, as there will be limited seating available in the venue, Rutgers students will be given first priority for admission.

In this critical presentation, I will document the human impact of race, class and gender bias in media coverage of Katrina:

• From the press’s misunderstanding of poverty,
  • to coverage that framed survivors as Third World “refugees” rather than Americans in desperate need of help from their local and federal government,
  • to the contrasting portryals of African American victims as criminals and white victims as sympathtic survivors,
  • to the ways the rush to report inaccurate rumors of crime and lawlessness hundered the relief and recovery efforts and impacted public policy responses,
  • to the underreported political implications of billion-dollar no-bid rebuilding contracts given to companies like Halliburton, real estate developers’ attempts to land-grab in the affected regions while reducing housing opportunities for low income New Orleaneans, privatization of schools and more,
  • to the fact that the voices of people of color, low-income people and women most affected by the disaster were nearly invisble as op-ed writers, news analysts, commentators and policy experts in media discussions of Katrina’s economic, environmental and cultural ramifications.

There will be a Q&A session after the lecture.
Sponsored by the Rutgers University Programming Association and the Taskforce on the Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Check out rupa.rutgers.edu or contact RUPAinformation@gmail.com or 732-932-5395 for more information.

For those of you in the NJ/NY area, I hope to see you there! And to those of you who are out of state, maybe I’ll see you while I’m on the road for WIMN’s women’s history month lecture tour — check out our website for a list of upcoming dates in Texas, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Indiana, Massachusetts and Ohio.

For those who are interested in driving to Rutgers, there’s a parking lot next to the Student Activities Center, but there’s a slight possibility of getting ticketed (however, my sources tell me that if you get ticketed by the Rutgers police but have no intention of ever registering your car with Rutgers, you can get away with not paying the ticket). For those who would rather not tempt the parking gods, there should be street parking along College Avenue.

OTHER PRESENTATIONS AVAILABLE: Also, if you are a member of a campus or community organization and would like to bring this talk to your school or group, or if you’re interested in any of WIMN’s wide variety of presentations on issues related to representations of gender, race, class and sexuality in news media and pop culture, please contact WIMN via this form, email info[at]wimnonline[dot]org, or call 347-564-5190. There are still a few dates available during Women’s History Month, and a good number of dates available in April and May, as well. Contact WIMN to schedule a media literacy presentation today!

13 Responses to “Free WIMN event: Race, Class, Gender & Katrina: The Human Impact of Disasterous Reporting”

1. Andrea Kaper
    July 13th, 2013 22:31

I delight in, result in I discovered exactly what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

2. Louboutin Nude Pumps
    July 23rd, 2013 17:00

Every man’s life is very precious, regardless of his nationality and race

3. Joaquin Kronberger
    September 16th, 2013 11:51

Nice website, rightful superficial around few blogs, seems a pretty overnice document you are using. I’m currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but sensing to change one of them over to a structure same to yours as a experiment run. Anything in item you would urge roughly it?

4. ketogenic diet
    September 20th, 2013 20:04

Thanks for some other magnificent article. The place else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal method of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the look for such information.

5. ao vest nu
    September 24th, 2013 18:38

ao vest nu - Mo^.t so^’ su+. trang phu.c vest mo+’i nha^’t sau ?ây se~ có tác du.ng giúp ba.n hoàn thie^.n phong kie^?u cu?a mình mo^~i khi chuye^?n ta^.u nhé.

6. snort this
    November 28th, 2013 05:59

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really recognize what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my website =). We could have a link alternate agreement between us!

7. tummy tuck cost
    December 3rd, 2013 04:17

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any suggestions?

8. centre d'appel assistance
    March 6th, 2014 09:49

Dans un courrier, ces salariées dénoncent les conditions de travail, la pression exercée, ainsi qu’une surveillance permanente des employés. Dans leur fight les ex-salariés sont soutenus par la CFDT qui va tout mettre en ?uvre afin que leurs droits soient respectés. Ce mercredi, elles sont une dizaine devant les bureaux de Pôle Emploi de Sedan.

9. call center air france montreuil
    March 13th, 2014 07:12

51 year old Tennis Coach Chuck Billa from Wingham, has hobbies such as making, solution call center and television watching. Has signed up for a global contiki tour. Is incredibly ecstatic particularly about going to Old Havana and its Fortifications.

10. printer reviews
    March 14th, 2014 01:38

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site.

11. Best Car Seats
    March 24th, 2014 02:09

Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just cool and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

12. serta mattress reviews
    March 24th, 2014 09:09

I’ve been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thanks, I’ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your site?

13. Cedric Parden
    March 31st, 2014 03:24

Really enjoyed this blog post, is there any way I can receive an email when you make a fresh article?